Climate Change and Archaeology: Erosion

Climate Change and Archaeology: Erosion

By Katherine Hodge, Public Education Coordinator  It is easy to forget that land is in the minority on our planet. The ocean covers 70% of Earth, and the remaining 30% is not all habitable thanks to impassable mountain ranges, scorching deserts, or icy shelves. With...
We’re Having Mashed Potatoes

We’re Having Mashed Potatoes

By Katherine Hodge, Public Education Coordinator  This year has brought many changes to everyday life. Unfortunately, upcoming holidays like Thanksgiving will also look very different for most Americas. 2020 has been difficult for many, and though Thanksgiving is...
Climate Change and Archaeology: The Ice is Melting

Climate Change and Archaeology: The Ice is Melting

By Katherine Hodge, Public Education Coordinator Archaeology is a unique profession for many reasons. One of those reasons is how many environments it can take place in, from deserts to the ocean floor to the rainforest to inside a glacier. If there is a will, there...
Pandemics of the Past: Tuberculosis

Pandemics of the Past: Tuberculosis

By Katherine Hodge, Public Education Coordinator  Tuberculosis, also known as TB, is an infectious bacterium that has been around for millions of years. Though scientists and archaeologists speculate that it has been capable of infecting humans since approximately...
Witch is it: Trick or Trowel

Witch is it: Trick or Trowel

By Katherine Hodge, Public Education Coordinator Halloween may seem like a silly American holiday, but it has ancient origins. Halloween is not American; it originated in Europe. Celtic people created this holiday around 2000 years ago and celebrated by wearing...